Sunday, November 18, 2007

Outdoor Mallets.

So today being our final day of this marching band season, our band instructor decides to finally get us bass drum mallets that are meant for the outdoors.
To quote at least 17 people "It was like it was Christmas or something."



When I heard we had new mallets, I literally sprinted into the band room screaming "oh my god, oh my god," as I went.
Who would have thought that stick and felt could make four people so very very happy?
Well, unfortunately, the season is over, and the only time we'll get to use these new mallets from now until early august is the Monday middle school performance (which I won't be at) and the two parades.
Then it's the winter percussion season, where we'll be using the indoor mallets that we had been using thus far this season.

Tonight was really really really fantastic.
Actually, the whole day was really really fantastic.
We threw down on that field tonight.
We gave it the best and gave off our vibe.
We played with balls.
And obviously the judges sided with us in that we were winners.
We got first place percussion, first place colorgaurd, second place woodwinds, second place brass, overall effect sweepstakes, and then field sweepstakes.
We TIED field sweepstakes, dude.
somehow, we both got a 92.3 (I think?) so we both won.
This season has been so rewarding.
I've got muscles and I'm a wayyyyy better drummer now.
I made a gajillion friends and not one of them are band "geeks".

Kids, don't do marching band.
When your parents say "try it out for a year and quit if you don't like it," refuse.
You WILL get hooked and you WILL fall in love with it.
And then you're stuck with it for the rest of high school.
You will NOT have a life, you will NOT have time for homework, and sometimes you will NOT have fun.
But good gosh, you love it.

No comments: